Top 10 Reasons Why Golf is Great
By Beth Brown – PhD (www.MomsTeam.com)
When you consider the many organized activities in which young people can participate, what are the first sports that spring to mind?
Soccer? Baseball? Swim team?
I’m here to tell you that you should add golf to that list.
Why golf? Here are my Top Ten reasons why kids (and adults) should play golf.
Golf is a great way to:
10. Enjoy the outdoors: Golf gives young people an opportunity to spend a few hours in fresh air, experiencing all types of flora and fauna.
9. Develop lifelong friendships: You never know who you will meet on a golf course, and interaction with others allow young people to develop social skills.
8. Practice personal responsibility: Sometimes the ball doesn’t always bounce your way, but regardless of the outcome, there is no blaming your teammates for what happens.
7. Have a safe place to play: The golf course is a safe place and facilitates mentoring relationships in a safe environment.
6. Learn to manage your emotions: Golf closely parallels real life as one experiences the highs and lows of the game. The range of experience, from birdies to triple bogeys, rewards a young person’s ability to keep each shot in perspective, manage one’s emotions, maintain a positive outlook and focus on the shot at hand.
5. Appreciate diversity: Golf is a game that can be played for a lifetime by anyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, size or skill level.
4. Prepare for business: Golf is a sport that helps prepare kids and teens for careers in business and other professional arenas.
3. Learn etiquette: Young people should play golf because it is based on characteristics that are too often missing in today’s win-at-all-costs society. Golf places an emphasis on etiquette. In golf there is no judge or referee; instead, players govern themselves and fellow competitors.
2. Spend time with family: Golf is a game that encourages family participation.
1. Develop healthy habits for life: With the youth obesity epidemic in our country, golf is a sport that helps young people get off the couch. When you play golf, walking the golf course and carrying your bag, a 150-pound person burns 350 calories and walks more than 10,000 steps